Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July 5 1000th page view reached!

Entrance to the Airline Trail off Hartford Road in Colchester

Welcome back to my Blog.  The laundry is caught up, the garden is weeded, the pool is clean, and my laptop is back in my office so it is time to get back to writing and planning the next trip.
The 1,000th page view was recorded on this blog yesterday!  Thanks for sharing this experience with me. I hope that you enjoyed the blog as much as I enjoyed doing it. Please check back as I blog about shorter trips.  I'm also revising the previous postings, adding pictures, checking for accuracy and correcting some really bad writing. So if you are planning to visit one of the places featured on the blog, check back.  
Yesterday we attended the annual 4th of July family and friends’ reunion at my mother’s home in the northeast corner of CT.  This annual event that spans several generations had rotated to Gloria and I a couple of years ago, but Mom took the event back this year due to concerns that I would come to love the road too much and not make it back in time to host the event.  Those of you who read my blog on our extra day in Onalaska, WI know that she was nearly right.  Thanks go to my siblings, cousins and nieces for helping Mom with the work and the family and friends who made it a success by showing up. I hope someone will step up for next year when we plan to cross Canada. 
Gloria contemplating Judd Brook

Here is GLoria at one of our favorite local places, a section of the Airline Trail off Hartford Road in Colchester, CT.  Gloria and I took a in a seven mile bike ride this morning before the temperature hit the low 90s. The track is a reclaimed railroad right of way that has been converted into a long (twenty miles or so) greenway that stretches across the eastern CT countryside.  In the heavily populated east it's great to have secluded greenways like this where the only signs of civilization along the gravel track are an occasional crossing road and glimpse of a house.  The section we traversed crosses the Jeremy River and Judd Brook both of which were roaring along in May but down to much more gentle flow now. 


Judd Brook through the trees

We have been considering that to really complete our cross country trip, we need to move further east, or at least back to the Atlantic.  Maybe a day on Long Island Sound near Mystic, Connecticut, or a trip to Newport, RI, or even nearby Charleston, RI, would make a nice eastern destination.   Of course there is Cape Cod, MA, Portsmouth, NH, or the Maine coast.  Visit again and see which (or maybe all) we choose.

1 comment:

Carolyn J. Rose said...

Ah, the haunts of home. There's nothing like getting reacquainted with your favorite places.